Saturday, April 2, 2011

Some questions hit hard (continued)!

Previously on “WIP”...

If you recall, I’ve been quite exercised recently by some painfully insightful words from world-famous magician, Penn Jillette.

If you believe there is a heaven and hell, . . . how much do you have to hate [a person] to not proselytize?

Just to make sure we’re all on the same uncomfortable page, I will remind you that Mr. Jillette plays for Team Atheist, and his pleasant encounter with a courageous Christian didn’t even come close to changing his mind.

But while it didn’t convince him, it obviously moved him.

Last week I meditated suggestively on several reasons we might fail to tell others the Good News about Jesus Christ and salvation. I was rolling happily along when self-control kicked in and I had to stop.

I will continue my list this week. And I won’t stop until I’m done.

Could it be that it’s just too important?

Sharing what God has done and is doing in your life is very different from gushing unashamedly about a great movie or an amazing new eye makeup.

I personally gushed about a movie this week (Seven Pounds) and cared not a whit whether anyone agreed with me or not. And it wouldn’t even have bothered me a bit if they’d all laughed and pointed and yelled, “Eeeewwwww, you like that??!!”

But with things of faith it’s different. They’re so important that the “what-ifs” can be relentless.

What if I don’t tell it well?
What if she thinks it’s all delusion & fairy tales?
What if he starts asking questions I can’t answer?

I think we tend to feel solely responsible for eternal destinies based on how polished our presentation is.

I also think we need to stop that.

Could it be that we get so off-the-charts distracted with everything that we just plain forget?

It’s not just time distractions, but thoughts and things as well.

I sometimes wonder what losing everything completely, suddenly, would do for my spiritual lifestyle.

Would having nothing but a Bible, a hat, and the clothes on my back change the way I spend my time, talents, and efforts? Would it focus me on what’s actually important, and away from the mere comforts of life?

It’s not a strategy I plan to employ any time soon. But I think about it. And I wonder if the things I believe make my life better are actually what hold me back. Jesus did say that, in terms of spiritual reality, the rich have a terrible disadvantage.

Could it be that we subconsciously (or consciously...) question the power of the Gospel?

Let’s be honest. There are plenty of “gospels” out there. Anyone can put together a reasonable version of reality. And there’s no shortage of those who do.

Not only does every religion have a convincing description of the Truth, but it seems like most individuals also have a unique one of their own based on personal experience and preference.

And knowing that, a Christian has to ask himself, “How is my Gospel any different from all the others?”

Or, more accurately: How could anyone possibly cut through all the options and understand that the Gospel is vitally different?

Since this is a meditation, I won’t answer these questions here. But if you’d like a few replies to this concern, see Below.

Otherwise, you can stop here.

Thank you for reading!


__________________________

“Below”

There are at least four witnesses that empower the Gospel to trump other doctrines:

1. The Holy Spirit works with us as an internal witness when we speak the Truth. We proclaim. The Spirit convinces.

2. Our lives speak volumes. If we preach a holy God, do we live holy lives? If we claim that God loves us unconditionally, do we act like people who are loved unconditionally? Etc.

3. As “unspiritual” as it seems, logic is an important tool. The fact is, the Gospel is entirely logical because it perfectly describes reality. When you think deeply and informedly about it, it’s obvious.

4. We don’t see them much these days in the States, but miracles have always been a God-given proof of the truth of the Gospel. Most of the miracles you find in the Bible or experience expressly validate the speaker. They are God’s stamp of approval on the message proclaimed.