Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mendicant thoughts

Though our lives may seem trifling and our deeds of no import,
yet to us they are a most sacred calling. Though lonely and
despised, we refuse to be ashamed, for when we walk,
we walk with God. 

- St. Timothy of Dimas, 12th Century Monk and Divine 
From The Life of the Mendicant


As I should, I hesitate to put my own words here, where normally there's Scripture.

But I'm going to cope with that hesitation - at least for this week.

Although the quote above claims to be from a 12th century religious volume, it is not. Truth be told, St. Timothy of Dimas is me.

I am Timothy, and my hometown is San Dimas, California.

The saint part is totally made up.

I place it here in the honored position because it represents something I've been thinking a lot about recently. Two things, actually.

The first is a new blog I started.
In it I plan to e-publish a novel I wrote several years ago - chapter by chapter, week by week. I'm not putting it out there because it's especially good, but because I wrote it for a reason, and this seems to be the best way of fulfilling it.

While the story is generally humorous in tone and aims to be enjoyable, its message is really quite serious.

The primary theme will undoubtedly be familiar to readers of this blod because I've already addressed it several times: God is in control, even when we don't realize it, and everything He does or allows is for our good.
It's the story of a young man (Grover Rodriguez) who suffers but survives. His life begins in an unconventional of way, and he grows up with the most dysfunctional of siblings. And while no one actively dislikes him, friends, family and fate team up to provide him with a constant stream of betrayal.

Not surprisingly, Grover craves escape and becomes quite good at it. Running from painful situations as they arise becomes a way of life. And he doesn't stop running until long after the novel ends. 
Worst of all, to quote what I'm sure must be the lyrics of some country song, he can't help but believe that loneliness is his only companion.

But he's wrong.

Although he naturally sees himself as the main character in his own story, it eventually begins to dawn on him that he's more sidekick than hero. And if he's a companion, then he must not be alone.

While we never learn exactly why Grover stops running, the reader is (hopefully!) left with the understanding that the cure lay finding an unshakable refuge in the Lord, who was with him every desperate step of the way.

If you're interested you can find it at www.triflingadventures.blogspot.com.

The second reason I highlight this quote is that I really like the idea of walking with God. I love the thought of the journey itself - the slow, methodical pilgrimage, one step at a time. And I cherish the close, protective companionship of Christ at my side.
And despite the fact that they came from my own head, I appreciate these words because they remind me that, even though my life is not wildly spectacular or world-shaking, just walking quietly with the Lord every day is a meaningful and sacred calling.